Saturday 16 April 2016

"What A Doctor Did When I Accompanied A Female Friend To The Hospital"


After reading the news about a Doctor At Sayemi Natural science Centre who was accused of Rape, I have come to get the answer to a question I have been asking myself for years about the conduct of a doctor I had encounter with. It was during my early days in the university , I accompanied a female course mate to the hospital. She was just a friend and nothing more . She was one of the finest in the faculty then. That morning she called me on phone and told me she was feeling feverish, and wants to go to the hospital to see a doctor. Trying to be a good course mate and friend I volunteer to accompany her to the hospital without even asking what the sickness was. When we got to the hospital, I waited on the reception while she went in to see the doctor . After some minutes, she came out and told me she was asked to wait for a test to be carried out to ascertain was wrong with her. After we had waited for like an hour, the doctor finally came out and request she follow him ( I assumed it was for the test). After about 10mins, the Doctor came to the reception again were I was innocently sitting and asked me to come with him; I followed him as we went into the operation ward. I was shocked to see my course mate lying on the operation bed unclad from her waist below, with her legs spread wide open . She was given those anesthesia drug that makes one slightly unconscious ( because she opened her eyes once in a while during the operation). The Doctor requested I should come closer and take a glance ( pointing at a boil close to her vagina; he said to me, "this is what we have to remove". I was still dumbfounded to utter a word. Without wasting anymore time , he cut open the boil and pus began to gush out (my eye see something that day). About an hour after the operation, she regained her consciousness. The first thing she said to me was "were you there?" I answered her in affirmation. She didn't know if she should hide her face or cry. She was angry with me (as if na my fault) , with the Doctor and everybody. I promised her I won't utter what transpired to any of our class members and I kept my promise. Since that incident, I have been wondering why did the doctor want me to be present during the operation. I guess I got the answer today; he was only trying to be careful for fear of any accusation of molestation or rape. Probably, he thought I was her boyfriend. He needed a witness. I think doctors should apply caution while dealing with female patients especially when it got to do with the private parts. They should request for a witness that would be present .

No comments:

Post a Comment