Sunday 17 April 2016

NDLEA arrests woman for smuggling 86 pellets of cocaine

NDLEA arrested a 41-year-old Dorothy Onyekasi who faked pregnancy with 86 pellets of cocaine
– The mother of three was apprehended at the Lagos airport during the inward screening of passengers
– The suspect insisted that her involvement in drug trafficking was a mistake
Dorothy Onyekasi
The suspect Dorothy Onyekasi
Operatives of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) has arrested a 41-year-old Dorothy Onyekasi who faked pregnancy with 86 pellets of cocaine.
Premium Times reports that the mother of three was apprehended at the Lagos airport during the inward screening of passengers on an Emirates flight from Dubai, United Arab Emirates.
According to a statement issued by the anti-drug agency on Saturday, April 16, the cocaine has a total weight of 1.720 kilogrammes with an estimated street value of N20.6 million.
Commenting on the incident, Ahmadu Garba, the NDLEA commander at the Lagos airport, noted that the wraps of cocaine could have been easily mistaken for pregnancy.
“It was discovered that the suspect kept 86 wraps of cocaine inside a waist bag which was tied to her stomach.
“Unfortunately, the drug was detected by NDLEA officers on her arrival from Dubai. The drug was immediately packed and weighed in her presence,” he said.
Cocaine
The cocaine has a total weight of 1.720 kilogrammes with an estimated street value of N20.6 million.
Meanwhile, the suspect insisted that her involvement in drug trafficking was a mistake.
“I am separated from my husband who left me with three children. I used to import female bags and shoes from Dubai. My involvement in drug trafficking is a mistake and I take responsibility for my action.
“I travelled to Dubai to buy my goods. While I was preparing to return, I met a man in Dubai who gave me the drug and promised to give me enough money to expand my business. He also told me that when I get to Nigeria, he will call his partner to collect the drug and give me my money,” she said.
Muhammed Abdallah‎, the chairman of the NDLEA, revealed that in the past few days the agency has recorded numerous arrests and drug seizures at the Lagos airport.
“The drug cartels have also suffered huge losses from these operations. This particular suspect faked pregnancy with wraps of cocaine but she was caught by vigilant narcotic agents.
“Some of the suspects recently apprehended concealed drugs in their socks and luggage while others ingested wraps of cocaine in disregard of the danger to their health. In spite of their craftiness, we are daily stopping them from perpetrating their criminal act and forcing them to a retreat,” he said.
Earlier this week,  at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport in Lagos.
A drug smuggler was detained by vigilant airport workers before he boarded the plane.

No comments:

Post a Comment